- 245g (½ lb) Tomatoes, Sliced Thin
- 245g (½ lb) Onions, Sliced Thin
- 120g (¼ lb) Beets, Sliced Thin
- 245g (½ lb) Cauliflower, Sliced Thin
- 245g (½ lb) Celery, Sliced Thin
- 90g (3 oz) Neutral Flavored Oil
- 75g (5 Tbsp) Umami Powder
- 1000g (1 quart) Water (split in 2)
- 56g (2 oz) Salt
- Large Sauce Pan
- Baking Sheet
Active Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 2 Hours
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
Mix the tomatoes, onions, beets, cauliflower, and celery. Coat all the vegetables with neutral flavored oil.
Dust the vegetables with umami powder and mix until all combined.
Spread the vegetables evenly on a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
Roast the vegetables until dark golden brown and charred.
Remove from the oven and place in a pan with half of the water.
Deglaze the sheet pan with the remaining water and add the deglazed liquid to the pan.
Heat the pan over low heat to just barely a simmer. Do not boil as it will make the liquid cloudy.
Simmer the liquid with the vegetables for 30 minutes.
Pass the liquid through a 100 micron super bag.
Cool and skim any fat off the top of the umami sauce.
Serve anywhere you would use soy sauce.