- 60g (2 oz) Neutral Flavored Oil
- 454g (1 lb) Ground Pork
- 10g (3 each) Ground Chili de Arbol
- 10g (2 each) Garlic, Roughly Chopped
- 60g (4 Tbsp) Gochujian
- 10g (1 Tbsp) Ground Sichuan Peppercorns
- 30g (3 Tbsp) Gochugaru Chili Flakes
- 25g (1 Tbsp + 2 tsp) Sugar
- 45g (3 Tbsp) Soy Sauce
- 240g (1 ½ Cup) Chinese Broccoli, Sliced on the Bias
- 240g (1 ½ Cup) Mustard Greens, Sliced on the Bias
- 454g (1 lb) Rice Cakes
- 4000g (1 Gallon) Water
- 224g (1 Cup) Silken Tofu, Blended Until Smooth
- 150g (1 Cup) Scallions, Sliced
- 120g (about 4 each) Shallots, Thinly Sliced
- 120g (1 Cup) Flour
- 120g (1 Cup) Crisp Coat
- 2000g (2 quarts) Neutral Flavored Oil (for frying)
- Large Saute Pan
- Medium Shallow Sauce Pot
- Large Sauce Pot
Active Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
Prepare Water and Oil
In a large sauce pot add 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil.
In a medium sized shallow saucepan preheat 2 quarts of oil to 325°F.
Mix together flour and crisp coat. Add the shallots and dust them well. Sift off any excess flour before frying.
To fry, place the shallots in the hot oil. Fry them until the steam dissipates. This should take about 30 seconds maximum.
Once cooked, spread them on paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
Cook Rice Cakes, Pork, and Greens
Once the water is boiling, place the rice cakes and simmer them for 10 minutes. Reserve 2oz of the water after boiling for sauce.
In a seperate large saute pan over medium high heat pour the 30g (1oz). Heat it until it begins to shimmer.
Cook the ground pork in the oil until it is golden brown and remove from the pan.
Sauté the Chinese broccoli and mustard greens in the same pan as the pork was cooking in. Cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the greens from the pan and place them on the side with the ground pork.
Saute chopped garlic in the pan until soft (About 1 minute). Add in the chili de arbol, gochugaru, and Sichuan peppercorns and cook for 30 seconds.
Deglaze pan with the soy sauce and 2 oz of water from the rice cakes.
Add the Gochujian, sugar, blended silken tofu and mix until combined.
Re-combine Pork, Greens, Rice Cakes
Return the ground pork and greens back to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
Remove the rice cakes from the water and add them to the sauce and mix well.
Garnish and Serve
Divide the rice cakes and pork in bowls and garnish liberally with scallions and fried shallots.