This spicy plant-based chicken patty recipe is one of our new plant-based favorites! We’ve taken our plant-based chicken base and added just a touch of hot sauce to give it the perfect punch of spicy goodness. Want it hotter? Dealers choice! With the help of our very own marbling fat, these patties are juicy and ready to be devoured at your next get-together!
- 100 g (1 cup) Textured Wheat Protein (TWP)
- 100 g (1 cup) Faba Bean Protein
- 24 g (4 tbsp, 4 tsp) Methylcellulose HV
- 8 g (2 tsp) Transglutaminase TI
- 24 g (6 tbsp) Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 4 g (1 tsp) Salt
- 2 g (½ tsp) White Pepper
- 1.6 g (¼ tsp) Garlic Powder
- 1.6 g (¼ tsp) Onion Powder
- 0.8 g (½ tsp) Thyme, Ground
- 0.8 g (½ tsp) Sage, Ground
- 1.2 g (¼ tsp) MSG
- 1.6 g (½ tsp) Ground Mustard
- 160 g (½ cup + 2 tbsp + 2 tsp) Water
- 60 g (4 tbsp) Frank’s Red Hot Hot Sauce (or any hot sauce you’d like)
- 90 g (6 tbsp) Marbling Fat
- 300 g Pre-Hydrated Burger Binder
- Oil, for frying
- 250g (2 cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 60g (¼ cup 2 tbsp) Batter Bind S
- 120g (½ cup) Water
- 250g (2 ½ cups) Panko Bread Crumbs
- Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment
- Medium Pot
- Three Medium Bowls
Active Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 24 Hours
4-6 Patties, Depending on Size
- Nutritional Information (Whole Batch):
- Calories: 1,962 kcals
- Carbs: 156g
- Fat: 103g
- Protein: 125g
- Serving Size (5 Servings)
- Calories: 392 kcals
- Carbs: 31g
- Fat: 20g
- Protein: 25
- Protein Content (PB Chicken vs Chicken Breast):
- PB Chicken (150g): 25g per patty
- Chicken Breast (150g): 44g
Hydrate Ingredients and Rest OvernightIn a small bowl add the TWP, Faba bean protein, methylcellulose HV, Transglutaminase TI, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground thyme, ground sage, MSG, ground mustard and hot sauce. Mix until combined.Add the water, mix until hydrated.Cover and allow it to hydrate overnight in the refrigerator.
Break Down Rested MixtureThe next day preheat the oil in a pot to 365°F-375°F.The mixture should be very firm. Break it up into bite sized pieces.In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment add the firm pieces of plant based ground chicken and beat on low until pea sized about 30 seconds.
Create PattiesAdd in the pre-hydrated Burger Binder and marbling fat (which should be cut into pea sized pieces), mix until combined.Remove it from the bowl, weighing out 150 g portions (this should give you roughly 5 patties).Press the patties into the desired thickness. We like ½ -¾ inch in thickness.
Dredge Patties for FryingSet up a breading station of flour, Batter Bind mixed with water, and panko bread crumbs, each in separate bowls.Place the patties in the flour and coat evenly.Shake off any remaining flour and dip them in the Batter Bind mixture.Gently remove and place in the bowl with the Panko bread crumbs.Toss them until evenly coated, then remove.
Fry Patties and ServeFry them in the oil immediately until golden brown and they reach an internal temperature of 165°F. This ensures the Burger Binder is fully activated.Blot any excess oil off on paper towels and dust with salt to your personal preference.Serve on a bun with all your favorite toppings and condiments.