The Secret of Expandex

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Never Miss an Episode: Subscribe on YouTube

WTF Expandex – Gluten Free Doesn’t Mean Volume Free!

Find out how this starch does the heavy lifting to upgrade any gluten free baking recipe… on this week’s WTF

Product Links:
Florapan Starter Culture
I’m Free Sandwich Bread Pan
I’m Free Perfect Gluten Free Baking Flour
I’m Free Perfect Gluten Replacement

Recipe Links:
Spectacular Gluten Free Sour Dough
Remarkabel Gluten Free Brownies
Beyond Basic Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins

Episodes and Links Referenced that you Might Like!
WTF – Gluten Replacement

About ‘We Transform Food’
We Transform Food is a weekly series from Modernist Pantry exploring cool ingredients and gadgets that can help any chef transform food into more memorable experiences.



  • Can this be used to enhance regular or traditional baked products?

    • We don’t see why not. Haven’t tried it personally. If you do want to add it to your favorite recipe start with 2.5% usage or lower.

  • I’d like to make a coconut flour sourdough and wonder if you would have suggestions for that? It’s non-grain, gluten free and I had some last summer but the baker wouldn’t give away her secret! In fact, she claimed it only had water, salt and coconut flour in it (natural yeast from the air)…but it was fluffy and delicious…so I am not sure there isn’t something like Expandex involved.

    • It’s difficult to know what was used in the recipe without having experienced it firsthand. It’s quite possible that it did have some sort of binder since coconut doesn’t provide much structure. We would suggest a combination of Expandex and the I’m Free Perfect Gluten Replacement. But do know this will take a lot of trial and error before recreating the recipe.

  • Hi! I have a couple questions. I generally use 1/3 starch (usually a tapioca/potato starch blend) and 2/3 whole grain flour (a mix of a few of the following: millet, sorghum, teff, cassava, buckwheat, etc) when making gluten free breads and treats. I don’t bake with rice flour at home because I have small children and worry about arsenic loads in gluten free diets. Should I substitute expandex for part of the starch so that expandex accounts for about 10% of total flour by weight but keeping starches around 30% overall? Or add it in addition to the starch so that the overall starch component is roughly 40%? Also, do I need to increase liquid when using expandex? Thank you!

    • Scott Guerin
      March 11, 2022 3:54 pm

      I would suggest only replacing 10% of the total amount of flour in the recipe. And you should not need to increase the water content.

Comments are closed.